Open Space Projects
San Francisco, California
Located in the Bayview neighborhood of San Francisco, this long established, heavily used park is on a 4.4-acre site and shares the block with the MLK Jr. Pool and a park restroom. When Merrill Morris Partners was chosen as the Landscape Architect for the project, it was ready for a much-needed renovation to meet current needs. MMP was tasked to activate the public space by strengthening the quality of the park and all its facilities and to inspire play by promoting active living, well-being, and community. The project includes:
- Newly designed playground
- Accessible walking path planned for all people to enjoy coming to the park to walk and appreciate the outdoor space
- Adult outdoor fitness equipment system to allow adults to exercise while enjoying their neighborhood park
- Redesigned gathering lawn of over 12,000 square feet for families to picnic, play and spend time together outdoors
- Relocated baseball field, replaced with a new state-of-the-art ballfield with synthetic turf and amenities.
- The design incorporates bioretention facilities, new lights, beautified park entrances, and a new planting and irrigation design that meets MWELO water requirements. This project is being delivered on time and on budget.
Owner/Client: San Francisco Rec & Parks Department